Tuesday 6 November 2012

things olde

Yesterday's post got me thinking about all the old things we have around here; how beautiful I find them, how well they are made, and how good I feel about being able to give them a home here. I think a lot of people feel that antique-lovers are collectors of junk. I am neither. I despise clutter. I love clean, open space. I love to purge.
I see it another way. People who like to repurpose old things produce less junk. They consume less. They buy less mass-produced garbage from big box stores. That's how I try to be, anyway.
I don't want to offend anyone who doesn't like old things, certainly. I'm not saying everyone who doesn't have a wooden highchair or an old farm table is a consumer whore.
I just really believe that things were made better in times past, and that finding those things and giving new life to them, instead of buying new stuff, is very satisfying to me.

I went around the house and took some shots of some of our old things, mostly to put off doing the dishes but also because I thought you might like to see some of these beautiful things we are caretaking until hopefully someone else can continue to look after them someday.



















No comments:

Post a Comment